The idea of buying a used mattress is related to saving or purchasing on a tight budget. Like any other article, we might think of buying a second-hand mattress. But it is not that simple. Here are two questions to consider:
- Is buying a used mattress the only option?
- What is a used mattress?
Let’s look into the first question. Our research says that there are many options for purchasing cheap mattresses. for example:
- You may go for online mattress shopping as they are cheaper than in-store mattresses.
- You can shop through discount coupons.
- You may find already cheap mattresses because of their technological manufacturing.
Now, while investigating the second question, we came across some useful information.
In traditional common sense, a used mattress is the one that is being used by someone over a period of time. We expect that it is not as good as a brand new mattress but still can be used for a couple of years by some other user.
Interestingly, today we have got some new definitions of a used mattress and it can be almost as good as a brand new mattress. You must be surprised and wonder how is it possible. So, here is the new definition that contains the answer to your question: should I buy a used mattress?
- that has been unpacked, no matters it is not used at all.
- which has not been used frequently. For example, it is your child’s bed who lives in another city and comes home only on vacations.
- that is kept in a guestroom, but you hardly have any staying guests over
- which is displayed in a showroom where only customers try it out
- that is returned to the mattress store under the trial period
With the new definition of a ‘used mattress’, you might be convinced that second-hand mattresses are fine to be bought. On a one on one deal, it is really Ok. However, make sure that the seller has sanitized the mattress properly.
On the other hand, if you go to the mattress stores that sell used mattresses, it is a different story. They have to follow certain rules, though these rules vary from state to state in the USA. These laws are about the refurbishing, sanitizing, tagging, and labeling of the mattress. The laws are in place to make the purchase of second-hand mattresses safe for customers. Whenever you come across the question, ‘How to make a used mattress safe?’, always ensure that the mattress selling company follows the state rules. The best thing is to research the topic and get information about the laws of selling pre-owned mattresses before buying a used mattress from a mattress firm.
However, there is no foolproof strategy to buy a 100% risk-free mattress when it comes to second-hand mattresses.
Pros and Cons of Buying a Used Mattress
‘Would you buy a second-hand mattress?’ depends on the benefits and dangers of the deal.
|Buying a preloved mattress is a good idea when you buy it for a short period of time. For example, you have to stay at a place for a couple of months or years.||When you buy a Used-Like-New mattress, it will come up without any warranty.|
|It makes sense when you buy it for your guest room where it will not be used every day.||Usually, pre-owned mattresses deals either don’t offer returns at all or free returns. So, if you receive a mattress that doesn’t suit your size, desired level of comfort, or so on, you can’t do much about it.|
|If you buy it for your toddler or a growing kid, this fits well because you will have to buy a bigger mattress in a few years.||If it is already preowned for a couple of months/years, it will sag before a new mattress does. In other words, it will have a shorter life span than a brand new one.|
|When you are on a budget, it is a great deal.||If you buy a used mattress online while seeing its photos, you never know if it is internally damaged or has bugs inside.|
|For some people, replacing an old and saggy mattress with a new used mattress is better than having the same undesired one. They think that this is an eco-friendly approach.||Mattress Hygiene is another concern. You never know if the previous users have got some skin diseases, bacteria, sweat, lint, or hair that have been absorbed in the mattress. These factors can cause harm to your health.|
|Many retailers of used mattresses don’t offer home delivery or free home delivery and you have to transport them to your home privately.|
Tips for buying a Used Mattress
We may conclude that despite all the pros and cons, we have to opt for shopping for preloved mattresses sometimes. The question is what to do when buying a used mattress in order to make a safe deal.
For that purpose, some buying used mattress tips may help:
- Don’t buy a second-hand mattress from an individual unless and until you know him well. Also, you must see if the home environment of that person is completely neat, clean, and hygienic.
- Never shop for a second-hand mattress online because this way you won’t be able to examine the mattress to your satisfaction.
- Check the mattress personally to see if there are any stains, holes, rupture, or bug signs. Don’t hesitate to examine the mattress from underneath. Remove its cover to see the actual condition, between the seams and folds.
- The safest approach is to buy a preloved mattress from a well-known and well-reputed mattress firm. In this case, check if they follow the state laws for refurbished mattresses. There, never ignore the yellow or red tag that says it is a refurbished mattress. The tag shows that the company follows legal procedures. Here, never shop from new companies in the market because their customer review is not easily available.
- Always be vigilant in buying a slightly-used or never-used mattress. Don’t settle for less than this.
- No matter how trustable your seller is, always sanitize your mattress yourself before you use it the first time, to be on the safe side.
Q: What to check for when buying a used mattress?
Ans: There is a criterion to follow when it comes to shopping for a refurbished mattress. Please tick all the checks:
- Whether the mattress seller is a well-reputed and trustable brand?
- Does it follow the state laws for selling preloved mattresses? Do you find the relevant tags and labels on the mattress?
- Is it a slightly-used or never-used mattress or an old one?
- Does it fit your size?
- Does it come in the right material type, foam, spring, or hybrid?
- Does it offer your desired comfort level?
- Does it provide the right kind of temperature during sleep?
- In case of slightly used, if the mattress is properly refurbished, cleaned, and sanitized. Check if the relevant labels or certificates are attached.
- Are any return and trial period policies
- Is a home delivery option available
Q: When should I buy a used mattress?
Ans: Your first choice should be buying a brand new mattress. For that purpose, you must explore sales, deals, discount coupons, and payment-installment options. If you find nothing works for you, then you should move to purchase a second-hand mattress. However, even in this case, you should look for slightly-used and never-used options.
Q: How to sanitize a used mattress?
Ans: You may sanitize a pre-owned mattress the same way you sanitize your other furniture pieces. Gently and lightly spray antibacterial spray or use an enzymatic cleaner. Similarly, you may use your hot steamer to kill all the germs and bacteria. Or, you may put your mattress in the hot sunlight for the same purpose.
The best option is to buy a new mattress. However, if you have to purchase a used mattress anyway, you should do it in an educated way. You should apply all the tips that are mentioned in this article so that you end up buying a good deal.