There are situations when you can’t get comfortable in bed. For example, you might be tired, stressed out, dealing with some health issues, or unsure about having a supportive bed. Many people feel uncomfortable regardless of the sleeping positions they choose.
Here, you realize that how important is a good mattress because a great mattress makes a bed comfortable and helps you release all your tiredness, stress, sickness, pain, and restlessness. This is only a general idea behind this research blog. Let us share our actual findings with you. Please read this blog till the end to get the detailed information.
Before we answer the question, we would inform you that there can be many reasons behind your discomfort. Fortunately, there are ways to get comfortable in bed. However, first, you will have to discover your specific reasons that cause discomfort. We will mention most of the possible reasons here, but by the end of the day, it is only YOU who would answer this question perfectly. We are publishing this article hoping that you will find this article useful and just right for you.
A suitable mattress contains these features:
Good Quality Mattress: When we talk of a comfortable bed, we realize how important a good mattress is. The Good Mattress is the one that keeps your body aligned on the bed. They are neither too firm nor too soft but feel very comfortable.
Right alignment of head, shoulders, back, and hips will not let your pressure points get strained, which causes body aches.
Saggy Mattress-Deal Breaker: When a mattress sags, it loses the ability to align your back. As a result, you feel body pains or discomfort in bed. Therefore, the sagginess of a mattress is a deal-breaker. The solution is, replace the saggy mattress with a new one immediately.
Temperature Control Mattress: You must be aware of whether you are a hot sleeper or a cool sleeper or a moderate sleeper. With this awareness, you should find a mattress that can provide you with suitable heat in bed. The bottom line is: don’t sweat, nor shiver in bed. If you get the right amount of heat or coolness in bed, you will feel comfortable.
- If you are a hot sleeper, foam mattresses are good for you.
- If you are a cool sleeper, breathable and gel-infused mattresses are suitable for you.
- If you are a moderate sleeper, there is a tip: you may sleep while taking your feet out of your blanket or cover.
Right-Sized Mattress: As for mattress size, a mattress should be spacious enough for you, especially if you move around during your sleep. A narrow mattress will keep you anxious in bed. Likewise, if you are a couple, you should get a mattress that can cater to the sleeping needs of you both.
Motion Control in Bed: If you are a sensitive sleeper who gets disturbed by the movements of your partner, should buy a mattress that controls motion in bed.
Mattress Perfect for Allergies: If you suffer from allergies, and/or skin problems, go for organic mattress materials.
Health Mattresses: Fortunately, there are health mattresses to cater to your health issues such as arthritis, sleep disorders, stomach problems, etc. All you have to do is to consult a sleep specialist beforehand and get recommendations to buy the perfect mattress for you.
A perfect pillow plays a crucial role in providing a comfortable sleep. It should not be too high because it will strain your neck and will not let you sleep well. It should be supporting your head-shoulders-back alignment. Moreover, it should provide you with a soft and cozy feel.
For that purpose, you will have to try out the pillows of different materials, softness levels, sizes, and heights to discover which pillow combination gives you the most comfort.
Different sleeping positions require different kinds of pillows. If you are a side sleeper, you should go for a firm mattress. As a back sleeper, choose a thin and soft pillow. For a stomach sleeper, a soft and thinnest pillow will work well. It is a general rule. Again, you have to finalize your perfect pillow by your trials.
Other than a pillow under your head, you may add some more pillows for extra comfort. For example, you may get a soft pillow that you may hug or you may put a pillow between your legs. Hugging a pillow is therapeutic that can ensure sound sleep and a sense of security.
In other words, the correct number of desired pillows is one of the best ways to get comfortable in bed.
There are times when we don’t feel comfortable enough even on a comfortable mattress. Then, mattress toppers are a smart answer to the question, how to feel more comfortable in bed? They are added to the top of a mattress as an extra, soothing layer that gives your body more comfort and aligning support. They are available in different sizes to choose from. Moreover, they come in different materials such as foam, thick fabric, wool, or feathers. Now, the choice is yours.
The selection of a soft and cozy bed sheet is very important. Fortunately, they are available in different materials, colors, shapes, and sizes. In general, flannel sheets are very soft in their texture and feel. They, certainly, add softness to your existing bed. However, you may look up other support options as well.
Provided all the mentioned above features are there in your bed, you will feel extra comfort from a high-quality comforter. The warm, lightweight and breathable comforters lead you towards sound and peaceful sleep. Therefore, whenever you buy them, be careful about what material they are made of, what size they are of, and how do they feel to you.
For a more restful sleep, opt for loose and soft attire that is appropriate for the season you are going through. They should not be too warm or too cool. Right sleeping clothes are an added comfort to your bed. Therefore, never take their shopping lightly.
Best Ways to Get Comfortable in Bed – Some General Tips 2022
Getting comfortable in bed is not only about buying the right kind of sleep-oriented articles, but also it is about making a pro-sleep environment which includes some other tips as well.
- Set Your Sleep Time: Setting a sleep time is very important for your health and sleep quality. Finish all your tasks beforehand.
- Get ready to sleep. Wear your sleeping suit. Put on your moisturizers, night cream, etc. Take your medicines (if any). Make a To-do list for tomorrow. Set your alarm. Now, your are free of all kind of worries & mind-talk for the next day. It’s time to go to bed.
- Organize Your Bed: Organizing your bed before sleeping is ensuring a comfortable and clutter-freeing your bed so that you may enjoy your sleep fully.
- Night Prayer: If you are a spiritual and/or religious person, pray before you drift off.
- Adjust the Bedroom Temperature: The desired bedroom temperature supports you enjoy a great sleep. Otherwise, you end up waking up again and again during the night or feeling miserable. So, set your fan, AC or heater properly.
- Turn the Bedroom Lights Off: You sleep more comfortably with the bedroom lights turned off. Never forget it because it will hamper your sound sleep. If you like to turn on a night bulb, do it.
- Control Noise: Take steps to make your room completely noise free. Turn off your electronic devices. Put your phone on silent mode. Close your windows so that you don’t get disturbed by the outside noise. If you have a pet, send it to the other room.
- Do Something if You can’t Sleep. If you are unable to sleep, don’t force yourself to do so while tossing and turning in bed. Rather, get up and do a light but useful activity, such as reading a book, watching an online video/class, completing an assignment. Soon, you will feel sleepy.
- Observe the RIGHT Sleep Positions: Consult a Sleep Consultant and learn the right sleeping positions that not only keep your spine straight but also help you in drifting off quickly. Usually, it means sleeping on your right side while bending your knees towards your stomach where your upper leg is ahead of your left leg. And, your right arm is under your pillow so that you have your pillow between your neck & shoulders. Also, your left arm should be bent towards your pillow.
‘How to get comfortable in bed’ is not a complex phenomenon. It’s a science where has two aspects. First, the right selection of all bed-related products will support deep and peaceful sleep. Second, it is about making a pro-sleep environment. A combination of both things ensures a sound and restful sleep.
Hope our research is useful enough for you. If you have any queries, please share them with us through the ‘comments’ option.