An Orthopedic Mattress is abbreviated as an Ortho Mattress. You might have heard about them as they are gaining the growing attention of mattress shoppers. However, in this article, we will tell you about them in detail, which is based on our extensive research.
An Orthopedic mattress is specially designed to help those people who sleep without body pains and suffer from bad backs and joint problems. These mattresses relieve pressure from joints and pressure points by comforting the human body and supporting the alignment of the head, neck, spine, and hips. In simpler words, Orthopedic Mattresses provide balanced comfort and support to the body so that it experiences pressure relief from joints and different pressure points. It results in painless sleep.
People who suffer from arthritis, backaches, or physical injuries should replace their mattresses with orthopedic mattresses. Similarly, they are not only preferable for senior citizens but also for health-conscious people of any age.
Interestingly, orthopedic mattresses are made up of all kinds of materials that are already being used for mattress making. You may find innerspring mattresses, Memory Foam mattresses, latex mattresses, or hybrid mattresses as orthopedic mattresses. This is very encouraging information because you may make an orthopedic bed out of your favorite mattress material.
We cannot label mattresses as orthopedic mattresses because no certification is involved in it. Actually, the mattresses that fulfill the following conditions, are considered orthopedic mattresses:
- They provide full comfort to the human body
- They relieve pressure from joints and pressure points by distributing your body weight evenly on the bed
- They align the head, neck, spine, and hips perfectly well.
These mattresses are available in all firmness levels including soft, medium-firm & firm. However, ultra-soft/plush and extra-firm mattresses are not taken as orthopedic mattresses.
Which firmness level to choose depends on your sleeping style and body weight.
Considering sleeping positions, if you are a side sleeper, you should prefer a soft or medium-firm mattress. As a stomach sleeper, you should go for a firm mattress. And, if you sleep on your back, you should opt for a medium-firm mattress.
Similarly, if you are a lightweight person, a softer mattress is good for you. If you are an average-weight person, a medium-firm mattress will suit you. However, if you are a heavy person, you should prefer a firm mattress.
Beds with orthopedic mattresses can be made in any size. Under this category, you may include mattress sizes as:
- Orthopedic Mattress Twin size
- Orthopedic Mattress Twin XL size
- Orthopedic Mattress Full size
- Orthopedic Mattress Queen size
- Orthopedic Mattress King size
- Orthopedic Mattress Cal King size
Despite their overwhelming benefits, Orthopedic beds have their own pros and cons.
- They are high-quality material
- They provide comfort, back support, and pressure relief
- They are durable. Their life is 7-10 years.
- They are available in all sizes
- They are accessible in all kinds of mattress materials
- They are expensive. Their price range is below $1000- $4000.
- It’s hard to identify a perfect Orthopedic mattress because they are not labeled by certifications. Taking advantage of it, many sellers market non-ortho mattresses as “orthopedic mattresses” because it is a buzzword in the market that attracts shoppers.
In other words, you might wonder: what is the best orthopedic mattress? Actually, there is no single mattress that is considered the Best; rather, there are several best orthopedic mattresses in the market under different categories. The details of these mattresses are here:
- Nectar – Best Memory Foam Orthopedic Mattress
- Swiss Ortho Sleep – Best Innerspring Orthopedic Mattress
- Pure Green Organic Latex Mattress – Best Latex Orthopedic Mattress
- Classic Brands Mercer – Best Hybrid Orthopedic Mattress
- Purple – Best Cooling Orthopedic Mattress
- Casper – Best Orthopedic Mattress for Back Pain
- Vibe – Best Budget Orthopedic Mattress
Fortunately, orthopedic mattresses are not only available in physical outlets but also in online stores.
If you want to buy them a little cheaper as they are more expensive than regular mattresses, you should explore online stores. However, you may take the benefit of orthopedic mattress sales for smart shopping.
However, if you believe in their physical trial, and want to check the orthopedic bed by lying on it, you should go for in-store shopping.
In any case, you will get a return option and a trial period. Therefore, both options are good.
Since an Orthopedic mattress is great for maintaining a correct sleeping posture, pressure relief, pain relief, body comfort, and back alignment, it should be the choice of everyone regardless of health conditions and age group.
Other promising factors are the high-quality mattress stuff and the durability of the bed.
As for the higher prices of orthopedic mattresses, we have to pay more for bigger benefits.
Therefore, I would recommend that an orthopedic bed should be used in every household as a part of a healthy lifestyle.
Q: Orthopedic Foam Vs Memory Foam, which type of mattress is better?
Ans: As a basic rule, if you go through body aches, do prefer an orthopedic mattress. Interestingly, many Memory Foam mattress models are orthopedic mattresses. So, if you are a fan of Memory Foam for whatever reason, you should explore their orthopedic models.
Q: Are orthopedic mattresses firm?
Ans: Yes, firm orthopedic mattresses are also available in the market. If you are a heavy-weight person and a stomach sleeper, a firm version will be a good fit for you.
Q: Does an orthopedic mattress have springs?
Ans: Yes, orthopedic models are available in innerspring mattresses as well.
Q: Should we add an orthopedic mattress topper to our bed?